Friday 13 February 2009

Alpha week 2

Last nights discussion was titled 'Why did Jesus die'

The talk was hosted by the 'lovely Claire' and she gave such a good account that so far, before I have read up any of the pieces from the bible that were discussed, I have no questions.

Basically we are all sinners, the bible said that if we sinned the payment was death and we would be partitioned from God, but God loved us all so much and unconditionally that he gave his only son for us.

An old ritual where by people sacrificed animals to God, helped explain that they put their hand on the animal and confessed their sins so that it passed into the animal and then it was sacrificed and so clearing the sin. In a way this is what God did for us, he allowed us to put our hand upon Jesus and confess our sins and he took them all and died for us removing the partition and giving us eternal life with God.

When I read passages from the bible I find it very difficult to understand the text, but the alpha course gives you the opportunity to see and hear things from other perspectives and add what you think yourself to give conclusion.

I am still currently reading the gospels from last week, I could quite easily just scan over them, but now feel the need to look more in depth to the meaning....for example

The Cost of following Jesus
Now when Jesus saw the great multitudes around him, he gave the order to depart to the other side. A scribe came to him and said "Teacher I will follow you wherever you go" Jesus said to him " the foxes have wholes and the birds of the sky have nest, but the son of man has nowhere to lay his head"
Another of his disciples said to him "Lord allow me to first go and bury my Father" But Jesus said to him " follow me and leave the dead to bury their own dead" Matthew 8:18

This I found quite harsh and hard to understand. I felt it sounded bad, but upon discussion last night - even though it was right off topic, Clare said that she felt the meaning was that the deciples father hadn't yet died and was living a healthy life, but the man was making excuses for not following Jesus just yet because he had other commitments. Which when looked up in the study bible said exactly that.

I am thus far intrigued and am hungry to understand more.

We are going to Church on Sunday and this week, Kristie will be joining us, I am really looking forward to it, infact I can't wait!

1 comment:

suzie said...

Hiya Gilly,

Good to see the Alpha course is going well, I can so relate to your hunger to know more and to understand God's word.

I'm sometimes a bit like the diciple who isn't centered on God because of other stuff that I think needs doing, but the 'other stuff' gets done far better if I'm doing it in God's name and not my own. I'm still a work in progress, still learning and still loving this walk.

Really enjoyed reading your story so far and look forward to the next instalment.

God Bless.
Much love. xxx